Thursday 1 March 2007

Not a baby anymore


My eldest daughter H has 2 photo albums that she keeps in her drawer.
Every now and then she brings them out and I have to sit and go through them with her, telling her how old she was...where we were when they were taken...who the person is in the picture with her and so on. Today I looked after my friends baby boy and this has inspired H to again dig out the albums. And it frightens me as to how quick my kids are growing up and as a wise man told me this week "make sure you still make the most of every moment you have with them while they're young, 'cos believe me it won't be long until time is rushing past you faster than the Clyde was this morning after all that rain." Thanks Rev! So I decided to try my hand at some poetry something I haven't done since I was at school and I hope you like it as much as H did.

You're not a baby anymore

you're not a baby any more
not content to lay in your pram at my back door
desperate to go out and about on your own
wanting to have your own mobile phone
telling me you can do it for yourself
reaching for your toys on the high shelf
having a crush on the boy from school
telling me that he is very cool
learning to swim at our local baths
tackling all things with a smile and a laugh
coming downstairs with some lipstick on
dazzling, pink and too much smeared on
stomping out and slamming my door
and telling me "I'm not a baby anymore"

Written by Alice

1 comment:

Katie said...

Obviously your gift of composing poetry comes from your mother.